Quote of the moment

"I really can't deny it, I am who I am. I'm pretty normal. I'm not that smooth type of girl. I run into things, I trip, I spill food. I say stupid things...I really don't have it all together."

~Katie Holmes

Monday, December 13, 2010

A cheap and easy Holiday update.

This year my Mother gave me several of her Christmas decorations from my child hood. One of the decorations included two bells that have a little rustic looking roof over them. I have always admired these decorations and to me it wouldn't be Christmas without them. These bells have to be almost 30 years old so it looks rather dated. A few years ago I helped my Mother update them by adding new greenery picks, the old ones were the really fake looking plastic kind, very 70's. I decided to take that a step further this year by removing the ribbon (a red velvet that had seen better days) and ggreenery and starting with all new. My theme colors this year are purple and pink, us Punky girls like our girly bling. The process was very easy to do, I used some ribbon and greenery picks I purchased from the dollar store on clearance after Christmas last year. All the "new" items cost less than a dollar, not bad for a dramatic change.
The materials and tools I used:
Staple gun and staples (Already had, it's a "staple" in my house. Get it, staple, I'm weird I know.)
2 greenery picks (2 for $1 purchased for 50% off)
2 inch wide ribbon ($1 purchased for 50% off. I only used about 4 feet of a 9 foot roll.)
1/4 inch wide ribbon (I have tons of ribbon from making bows. I used about 2 feet of white.)


This is after I ripped everything off.
The first thing I did was remove the greenery pick and ribbon. I used the old ribbon as a template for how long to cur the new ribbon. My first step was staple a loop of approximately 3 inches on the back of the house to serve as the hanger. The next step was cut the purple ribbon to approximately 10 inches long then reassemble the bell using a piece of white ribbon approximately 6 inches long. I stapled both ribbons to the inside wall. Finally I stapled the greenery pick in place. I am very happy with the way they turned out. They are the same and different at the same time, just like my Mother and I. (Corny I know.)
After and Before.
The purple ribbon is so shiny it kept causing a glare on my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment