Quote of the moment

"I really can't deny it, I am who I am. I'm pretty normal. I'm not that smooth type of girl. I run into things, I trip, I spill food. I say stupid things...I really don't have it all together."

~Katie Holmes

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ribbon Storage

I have self diagnosed myself with a ribbon addiction. I love ribbons, I definitely do not discriminate. Every size, texture and color is welcomed in my collection. I’m not sure when this addiction started although I secretly suspect it has something to do with Hobby Lobby’s half price ribbon sale. I wonder if I could hold them responsible. Imagine headlines “Hobby Lobby blamed for woman’s dependence on ribbons.” Somehow I don’t think that would work. Since I couldn’t find a class for RA I had to come up with a solution for storing all of my ribbons.

Evidence Number 1
















Evidence Number 2

Evidence Number 3 (Why do computers have a mind of their own? No matter what I did this picture kept turning side ways.)

The above box is a cute storage container I purchased at Hobby Lobby to help me store my ribbons. It has a dowel rod to hold spools in place and a convenient clear window to view ribbon collection. When I purchased it I was sure it would solve all of my problems. Too bad on that same shopping trip I got more ribbon than the box would hold, not to mention what I already had. Oh well, it is a cute design and I’m sure I will use it for something.

I’m always looking for ways to organize my home; we could all use a little inspiration. I recently stumbled across a very unique and cute way to store ribbon. It seemed as though Chris @ Just a Girl also suffered from the same ribbon addiction. She very creatively wrapped and organized her ribbon around cardboard, take a look at it here. Just a Girl: Ribbon 411 (and a sneak peak!)
Seeing this inspired me, I decided I would give it a go. This is how I attacked my spools.

The first thing I did was find a container I wanted to store my ribbons in. Hobby Lobby has boxes that are for photo storage, they come in different colors and patterns. (Even Christmas.) I use these boxes to store other things in and I really like them because they are cute, sturdy and have label holders. Not to mention they are only $3.99 and they go on sale for 50% off every few weeks. This is the box I had on hand so I used it. Notice my label….



After I chose my container I then had to find some cardboard. At first I was going to purchase some foam board so it would be pretty and neat. After tripping over the HUGE box WalMart sent my rain boots in for about the twentieth time I decided I would just use it. This solved several problems, first it got rid of the box I was tripping over, second I recycled which is always a plus, and third I had my cardboard and I saved money. Now I can use the money saved for some more ribbons to invest in a high yield stock. 
When I cut the cardboard I cut it a little shorter than the box allowing for the layers of ribbon. I then attached one end of ribbon using a piece of tape and started to wrap. I like to use small sewing pins to hold the loose end down. I personally think it does better than tape just because you don’t waste any ribbon from the tape pulling threads. So I started the process of tape, wrap, pin and repeat. This is pretty much a mindless task so I watched Christmas movies with my daughter while I did this.

It took a couple days to finally get all my ribbon wrapped however I didn’t work on it nonstop, an hour here and there. This is all my ribbon wrapped, I ran out of pins so I switched to taping the loose end down.


While looking at all the colors of ribbon I have I noticed I have a lot of pink, white and black. After thinking about this it came to me why I have so much of these colors…..dance class. My daughter takes dance class and of course her outfit is pink, white and black. I couldn’t find any bows that I liked so I decided to make her ONE for dance class, yes I said one. I found so many cute ribbons that I couldn’t decide on which one to buy. Oh well, at least she is cute……


My final box is all ready to be put on my craft shelf. Now if I can just find a way to store my fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment